Wednesday 14 September 2011

Wednesday 14 September

I thought it may be helpful and a good time to re launch my blog and keep you all updated of what’s happening at the moment and, in particular, information relating to the proposal for restructuring the council’s senior management team.
I’m sure many of you will have seen the recent media coverage and maybe aware of the questions I have been asked about this proposal.

I have been extremely clear that the proposal is based on the council being in a strong position and able to adopt a new management model that focuses on delivery in our local communities.

We have a vision and a four year Business and Financial Plan that sets out what we will deliver and where we will invest in key services.

However, the pressures we face in budgeting both now and in the future are huge. Next year the council needs to find savings of around £36 million and the proposed restructure will save us £500,000. I am proposing that we find these savings from our senior team and not from our front line staff.

Yesterday, I met with the Extended Leadership Team and talked to all the directors about the proposal. I used this meeting to reaffirm my confidence in the team and their extensive knowledge and capability to continue to deliver excellent services and new initiatives for the people of Wiltshire.

I invited the team to submit their views and thoughts on the proposal. The proposed structure is now on The WIre and if any of you wish to submit your thoughts by 21 September, these will be considered by the cabinet, when it meets at the end of September/early October to decide the future management arrangements for the council.

I realise that the announcement to propose a new senior management structure is unsettling for some of you, particularly those directly affected by the proposal, but I am both confident and clear that the hard work, commitment and professionalism of all of you has enabled this proposal to be put forward for debate and consideration.

I welcome your thoughts and am pleased to see that the rumour buster is being used as a channel to seek clarity and the facts and that some of you have joined the discussion forum.

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment